The armed forces have recognised the increasing threat to its tactical aircraft from infrared guided missiles. More than 500,000 shoulder-fired surface-to-air missiles (MANPADS) are on the worldwide market and partly also in the hands of non-state organisations. A high percentage of the aircraft losses in current and recent conflicts were from ground based defensive systems using IR SAMS.
The threat of IR guided anti-aircraft missiles is evident. They are an undeniable danger to the aircrew and the aircraft.
Facing the Challenge
To counter the increasing threat by IR-guided missiles, countries and armed forces have to deploy more sophisticated solutions for aircraft selfdefence. Especially advanced MWS and sophisticated countermeasures against IR-guided missiles play an important role in this context.
- Lowest number of equipment
- Very low weight balance and power consumption
- No interfaces to mission or avionic systems
- Fully integrated CMDS (only one display/control unit for the whole system)
- High reliability
High Performance MWS
- High spatial resolution providing discrimination between fixed and moving sources and accurate approach direction finding (imaging sensor)
- Multi-threat handling (≤ 8 per system)
- High probability of detection and lowest possible false alarm rate
- Difficult to deceive
- No emissions from the sensors (stealth)
- No cooling, short activation time
- No disturbance from IR light and laser
- Low weight and power consumption
- High degree of redundancy
Stand-Alone Missile Protection System
- Completely independent system, no connection to a/c avionic or mission system required
- AUTO, SEMI-automatic and manual modes
- High-precision audio alarm messages (user definable)
- NVG compatible system display