The MUSS system is designed to counter threats causedby ATGM (anti-tank guided-missiles) and laser guided ammunition in six steps:
1. The scenario is continuously monitored by the MUSS passive sensor heads. It recognizes threats with their emitting radiations through the warning sensors.
2. Based on the threat messages which include direction of attack and other parameters, this is then displayed to the vehicle crew.
3. The movement information of the vehicle and the head sensors is collected by the IMU and provided to the MCE.
4. The appropriate type of countermeasures will be automatically selected. The countermeasures are initiated automatically or semi-automatically as selected by the vehicle crew.
5. The Jammer is able to disrupt the guidance of most of the jammable ATGMs which are currently in service. This function influences the missile in such a way that it does not reach its target, either hitting the ground or flying away.
6. A further countermeasure is the deployment of a special smoke grenade activated by the turnable smoke screen dispenser.